The Town of James Island participated in a Tri-County Conference call at 12:30 p.m. with Charleston County. The Town of James Island continues to monitor the development of Hurricane and remains at OPCON 3. Definition of OPCON levels: http://www.charlestoncounty.org/departments/emergency-management/opcon.php
Here are some key issues:
• Hurricane Dorian continues to move northwest at just under 13 mph.
• The National Hurricane Center calls for Hurricane Dorian to turn west/northwestward towards the southeastern United States this weekend.
• Hurricane Dorian will continue to strengthen and will become a major hurricane.
• The National Weather Service forecast calls for an increased potential of moderate to major tidal flooding next week.
• It is still too early to determine the exact impacts Hurricane Dorian will have on the South Carolina Coastline.
• The Town of James Island advises that you make necessary preparations now to respond in the event Hurricane Dorian becomes a threat to South Carolina. We are likely to see coastal flooding and heavy rains as a result by the first to middle of next week.
The Town is not issuing sandbags at this time. However, we are readying supplies in case they are needed and will notify the public if and when sandbag operations begin.
If there has been disruption to utility service, please contact Dominion Energy Customer Service through the resources listed below:
Dominion Energy Customer Service: 1-866-366-4357
Down/Sparking Lines: 1-888-333-4465
Gas Leaks: 1-800-815-0083
Power Outage: 1-888-333-4465
Down Trees: Call 911
Non-emergency Public Safety concerns: Consolidated Dispatch – (843) 743-7200
Here are other important links with helpful information before, during and after an event:
South Carolina Emergency Management Division: http://www.scemd.org/
FEMA website for Citizen Preparedness: http://www.ready.gov/
National Weather Service Charleston Office: http://www.weather.gov/chs/
Pet Friendly Hotels: http://www.pet-friendly-hotels.net/
Current Charleston County Hurricane Information: https://www.charlestoncounty.org/departments/emergency-management/index.php
Definition of OPCON levels: http://www.charlestoncounty.org/departments/emergency-management/opcon.php
Download the Charleston County EMD App for the latest updates by searching CC EMD in your carrier’s app store.
For updates, visit the Charleston County website or follow us on our social media platforms:
Visit website: www.charlestoncounty.org
Updates on Hurricane Dorian will be released and posted to the webpage and social media as new information becomes available. Visit website: Town of James island: www.jamesislandsc.us for latest news releases.