News Release September 2, 2015
Release Number: 3946
Shawn Smetana, Public Information Officer
Phone: (843) 958-4007 / Fax: (843) 958-4004
Project website: http://roads.charlestoncounty.org/projects/harborviewroad/
Traffic Alert: Upcoming Traffic Shift on Harbor View Road Improvements Project
Charleston County Government announces a traffic shift on Harbor View Road on Friday, September 4, 2015. Crews will shift traffic towards the new sidewalk from the James Island Creek Bridge to Lawton Drive for the Harbor View Road Improvements project. All work is weather permitting.
Friday, September 4:
- Traffic will shift towards the new sidewalk the early morning of Friday, September 4, 2015.
- The shift will occur from the James Island Creek Bridge to Lawton Drive.
- Message boards will be on site notifying the public of the traffic shift.
- Drivers will have access to businesses and residential properties along Harbor View Road at all times.
- Drivers traveling through the project’s construction zone are asked to be aware of equipment and crews working in the area at all times.
The purpose of the Harbor View Road Improvements project is to improve traffic flow and safety on Harbor View Road and to provide adequate bicycle and pedestrian facilities. The scheduled completion of the project is expected in fall 2016.
The project will include the addition of a center two-way left turn lane between North Shore Drive and Affirmation Boulevard, the addition of right turn lanes at major intersections, the addition of traffic signals at Fort Sumter Drive and Mikell Drive, the construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Harbor View Road and Fort Johnson Road and the addition of pedestrian and bicycle facilities.
Visit the official website at http://roads.charlestoncounty.org for public meeting notices and up-to-date news and information about all Charleston County Transportation Sales Tax road projects. Anyone with questions about the project can call Charleston County’s Transportation Development Department at (843) 202-6140.
For information on Charleston County Government news and services, the public can:
- Prepared by the Charleston County Public Information Office -