News Release August 25, 2016
Release Number: 4070
Shawn R. Smetana, Public Information Officer
Phone: (843) 958-4007/Fax: (843) 958-4004
Project website: http://roads.charlestoncounty.org/projects/harborviewroad/
Harbor View Road Improvements Completion Date Revised
The Harbor View Road Improvements project began construction on Sept. 15, 2014 and construction activities will continue to Dec. 31, 2016. The project was originally scheduled for completion in September of 2016.
Upcoming project sequence:
- All travel lanes, the center turn lane, and turn lanes open from Affirmation Blvd to North Shore Drive
- Completion of the roundabout at Harbor View Road and Fort Johnson Road
- Construction of closed drainage, sidewalk, and curb and gutter from Affirmation Blvd. to the roundabout
- Landscaping throughout the length of the project
- Full pavement repair was completed for the entire length of the project limits and pavement build-up is underway. Crews have placed 26,000 tons of asphalt, which equals more than 1,200 truckloads.
- Closed drainage system installation is underway and 12,400 feet of reinforced concrete pipe has been laid.
- All 11 water quality structures have been installed. Each water quality structure ranges from 15 feet to 21 feet deep and the total installed structure weighs between 23 and 56 tons.
- 12,000 feet of sidewalk has been placed, including new concrete driveways.
- 15 of the 21 reinforced concrete pipes that cross under Harbor View Road have been installed.
The purpose of the Harbor View Road Improvements project is to improve traffic flow and safety on Harbor View Road and to provide adequate bicycle and pedestrian facilities. The project will include the addition of a center two-way left turn lane between North Shore Drive and Affirmation Boulevard, the addition of right turn lanes at major intersections, the addition of traffic signals at Fort Sumter Drive and Mikell Drive, the construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Harbor View Road and Fort Johnson Road and the addition of pedestrian and bicycle facilities.
Visit the official website at http://roads.charlestoncounty.org for public meeting notices and up-to-date news and information about all Charleston County Transportation Sales Tax road projects. Anyone with questions about the project can call Charleston County’s Transportation Development Department at (843) 202-6140.
For information on Charleston County Government news and services, the public can: